Re: trade secrets

Robert Pisani wrote:

> I have rewritten this piece that I wrote a couple of years ago, and added a
> few thoughts to it, and it seems time to re post it, especially as newcomers
> will not have seen it.
>
> TRADE SECRETS
>
>         No one in the market is knowingly giving away money.  Just as in an
> ordinary poker game, in this zero-sum business it's your job to take my
> money and mine to take yours.

A fine post, but I'm not sure I buy into all of it. Even in a zero-sum
game (not quite zero), there is more to this then just taking someone
elses money. It is just plain bartering.

When you go to the store, the owner wants your money. But he must give
you something YOU WANT in return. Now if you choose badly in your
purchase, it is you who took money from you, not the person who sold it
to you. We have full control of our resources, and the decisions we make
directly affect our bottom line.

When I trade in futures, I don't think about taking someone else's
money, even if I am ultimately doing that. I'm making a decision in
bartering. Its really not personal (nor am I saying that Mr. Pisani is
implying that), and the bottom line is, there is PRODUCT at the very end
of all the transaction when the smoke clears.

We you think about it, once all this trading has done its good for the
commercial markets, the final product WILL be consumed, just as it would
be when the merchant sold you food (took money from you) and you got
what YOU wanted, worth it or not, and ATE it.

We look at just the middle, since we are middlepersons, yet we are the
conveyor belts for product to go from point A to point B.

As for TRADE SECRETS, there aren't any. All information is readily
available (usually at the cost of time or money), and you just need to
know what to look for or figure out what you really need. This is what
is being sold by many vendors today, information that you can find
yourself but that they have done the work for you.

Selling of information is a very viable, honest trade these days. Buy a
book so that you don't have to do the research yourself. If someone
spends years learning the ends and outs of trading, discovers some
interesting ways to put it together, why not offer this info to others
and help them NOT have to re-invent the wheel or spend their whole
retirement tracing over all the steps you had to? Take a short-cut and
buy the information. You will cover more ground that way and may
possibly shorten the trip.

Let me assure you that many information vendors (can be in the form of
books, programs, newsletters, etc) had to travel many different paths
and gather information themselves to finally put together a product of
information to sell. The paid other such ones along the way. No doubt
the economy works this way. I paint the house, someone else puts on the
roof, another the interior, and then one sells it. It goes around and
around.

We surely don't want to take a negative view of ALL vendors since they
are only providing a service. You just decide on that service that fits
your needs. I'm a vendor, just as those who sponsor this list, and yet
we pay other vendors for some kind of trading services (more info,
tools, programs, books, datafeeds, etc.). Even when we are making money
with trading, we have information that is resaleable. Why let it sit
dormant when it could be producing income?

If you sold information that made you $1000 a day in trading, the
question is why sell it? Because while you make $1000 a day trading, you
make $1000 a day or more in selling that which is making you $1000 a day
in trading!

The other point was that if enough people learn your info and use it to
duplicate your $1000 a day income, soon none will get it cause the
market will change. Do you realize first off how many people need to
trade your system JUST LIKE YOU to cause that to happen? If you sold
that many, you can just give up trading anyway! That is a lot of traders
who have to act in unison with you.

I don't care how many learn to trade the methods I use. If 1000 traders
become Fdate traders, it won't make one dent in market action at all.
So, why not share the info that makes me money so that I earn my living
from more than one source, my trading AND my knowledge and tools.

One vendors opinion. Thank you.

cheers!
:)
rick