Re: Who's safe

  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:59:34 -0500
  • From: Tom <tominri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Who's safe

Yeah, I thought I was in good shape when I decided to years ago to trade my IRA with Intrust. I can't recall back then if it was "sponsored" by Lind-Waldock or First American. Both firms I thought were big enough with regard to safety. To be fair I think Intrust was the pretty much the only game in town for IRA trading. So,, I'm not saying it was either broker's fault but for sure they did nothing to back up their clients.

I was amazed how Intrust filed just after April 15th (can't recall the year) so that they could squeeze every last dollar out of us.

I've got some worthless piece of paper "certificate" that shows I'm entitled to $$ if there is any left. It looks like they printed it at "Staples". Real pathetic looking.

Meanwhile some guy stole $66 million dollars and years later is walking around free as a bird. Or wait did he die? Can't recall. Anyway, Attorney's continue to file petitions for $$ and Pricewaterhouse Coopers is still getting paid for doing squat.

If you are a Futures trader you can figure that if the firm goes bust your screwed. You'll be lucky if it even makes the news. Feds figure if you lose $$ trading futures then you deserve to lose it anyway. Just my opinion here but after over 25 years of trading futures to me the biggest risk is still the risk of the broker failing. Just my opinion, but as far as I'm concerned, Bigger might be better but I'm not convinced.

Regards,

Tom

Jimmy Snowden wrote:

I would never use some mickey mouse broker like the Cruz boys have.  I
was a broker for nine years and saw a bunch of little guys go bust.
Sure there is insurance but if you have a margin account you never
know when you will get your money out.  You don't know if your
positions will be closed.  Not for me.  I know too much about how that
stuff works.