Re: Why?

You need a program that can handle the tick bars better.  I use tick
charts all the time and don't really need more then a few months but
it is easy to load say AAPL on a 1 tick basis which immediately pops
up over a million bars before it starts downloading more data.  The
limit I run into is Windows only works one process up to something
over 1 gig before windows blows up.  Now I don't use 1 tick charts but
it looked like a good way to see if there was some limit.  Clearly
not, but I did get a memory warning as I had several charts open in
that process already when it got up to about 1.1 million bars.

Jimmy

In the TS 8.x cache file there are only 3 data files, eod, min, and tik.
Evidently all intarday intervals above 1 min. are constructed from 1
min. data and are not saved but reconstructed when the higher interval
chart or RS is loaded again.  I do not have the forum urls bookmarked
for discussions on this topic that I have read but see following and the
links there in.

https://www.tradestation.com/Discussions/Topic.aspx?Result=1&Topic_ID=94149

TS 8.X RS is not stable using large amounts of data as TS2000i RS is
(both are suppose to handle upto 65,555 bars) . TS 8.X RS seems to work
only for 1000 - 5000  bars or less and might have a chance of stability
if 5 times fewer bars were need for a give time period by using 5 minute
data.

I use linear regression channels on weekly data and this can require 8
months of data for a number of stocks (back to March '09, e.g. AAPL). I
use RS in TS 2000i with a 15 minute interval to create weekly synthetic
bars using arrays and 8 months of data requires 5000 15miniute bars.
This is only 15000 data of 5minute data which number TS 8.x RS is
suppose to be able to handled but does not.

I can not use this array indicator in TS 8.X as 8 months of data using 1
minute bars would be 75,000 bars which is out of range for RS.
Fortunately, with a GV, calculations from a 8 month weekly RS (made from
50 daily data) can be feed into a 15 minute RS (30 bars made from
5minuite data).