Re[2]: TS2000i to IB - what is good these days?

  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:23:17 -0600
  • From: Jimmy Snowden <jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re[2]: TS2000i to IB - what is good these days?

Abbijit,

I lost more data with TS4 due to Omega then TS2ki due to all kinds of
software problems.  I spent a huge amount of time backing up and
learning how to fix data.  I was afraid with Multicharts it would be
the same.  I switched due to features and because it was so easy if
you had been running TS2ki.  Data is no longer a problem for me.

At first I used the global server to feed Multicharts.  Soon I decided
I was crazy to use it.  After all half my problem was with the GS.  So
I just imported a load of ASCII data for my tick charts and now only
use Multicharts with a part of esignal that is really esignal and the
old QCharts.  Exactly the same as regular Esisnal but had more
historical tick data.  About two to three months.  Don't know why it
varies.  But then minute and daily is huge historical data.  I have
not researched how much but years.  So if I loose all my data or want
to add a symbol it is easy.  Just type the symbol in a chart and bingo
here it comes.  So if you can live with Esignal life is much easier.
I don't spend Saturdays loading and saving.  I run all week then
Friday after noon I turn it off and back it up.  Research stocks
Saturday morning and pull up about 175 charts plus any new ones that
look good.  In no time I have my list for the week.  It is a dream.
You can rent it or buy it.  I bought it first day I heard about how
good it was.

Remember the plot limit on TS2ki.  Four plots.  Recently I worked on a
indicator that I have always wanted to build.  I had seventy plots.
Not that I wasnted to see them but it gave me the numbers in the data
window to check all my code right there on the screen.  It will
actually plot like 99 or 100 plots.

I am not connected with Multicharts or TSSupport.  It just answers all
my needs without the pain.  Plus the more that use it the more people
I can learn from.  There are some really smart people on this list and
it has helped me a lot.

Jimmy

Alex,

I have a license of MetaServer for IB, and it does what it is supposed
to. I have not used it in over a year. I got myself a TS subscription,
and for the price of monthly exchange data fee, and a very reasonably
priced 10 r/t a month, I have the whole thing for free. Yes, you need to
keep 5-10k in TS account, but the commission can actually be cheaper
than IB.

I really, really like the concept of having my own copy of data, and
ts2ki. I love ts2ki! But in practice, I have found it to be much more
profitable, easy, and relaxing to have on-demand data on anything I
like. I still have recurring fantasy trips of going back to ts2ki +
MetaServer, but I usually soon come back to my senses. Actually, for
this very reason I have never paid much attention to MultiCharts, in
spite of such glowing reviews from venerable list members, because then
I have to manage data! Yikes!

My 2 cents. But, if you must, MetaServer works just fine - just run it
in a clean machine with not much else running - specially anything that
likes to open or listen to tcp-ip sockets. Also, TradeBullet seems to
just do order routing to IB, but not act as a data feed from IB.

Abhijit