Re: TS2000i under Vista - frustrating

  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 21:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
  • From: Alex Matulich <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: TS2000i under Vista - frustrating

Mike G wrote:
>Hi Alex, not sure if you have solved your chart loading problem yet.

I just did!

>Something you said reminded me that I have seen weird behavior when
>trying to build charts from ascii data where the date and time fields
>for the ascii data don't agree with the Windows regional settings for
>datetime. That is something worth checking.

That was more or less it.  I had configure my Pinnacle data
software to format the end-of-day data with YYYYMMDD format dates.
Tradestation seemed to understand them (it would show me a display
of data rows with dates formatted as MM/DD/YYYY) but then the chart
would abort.

I got a hint something was wrong with the dates when I tried
redefining the MSFT symbol in the sample workspace chart that comes
with Tradestation. When I gave it a Pinnacle data file, it tried to
plot out to the year 2054, and of course there's no data there.

When I re-installed Pinnacle configured to use MM/DD/YYYY dates,
Tradestation instead showed me the symbol settings display and drew
the chart when I clicked OK.  I think last time, on my old computer,
I had the dates formatted as YYYY/MM/DD (with slashes) and it worked
then too.  I believe the lack of slashes was the problem.

It turns out the problem wasn't Vista at all.  Although... Vista may
present problems when I try some backtesting problems.  We shall
see.

I really appreciate all the helpful replies I have received.

-Alex