Re: Re[4]: best testing software for intraday trading?

Joel wrote:
>On Sep 9, 2008, at 9:07 PM, Roscoe wrote:
>> I do not believe that it is reasonable to
>> expect a low-priced product to deliver the power of a fully and
>> professionally developed software solution.
>
>NinjaTrader is low-priced and professionally developed. It's pretty
>full-featured as well.

It isn't exactly low-priced if you want to auto-trade with it
(comparable to other packages except PowerST, which is an outlier),
but for backtesting, you can't beat free.  Makes me want to pay for
it when I finish my backtesting research.

While I agree it's full featured, the missing features are
significant, in my opinion, and really grate on me:

=> No support for open interest data.  No ETA planned, according
   to the suppor staff.  My strategies and indicators that use open
   interest just flat-out can't be implemented in NinjaTrader.

=> No support for files containing arbitrary streams of data
   (e.g. date&close, advancing issues, commitments of traders,
   Pinnacle historical EOD data, spread data, whatever I wanted).
   TS doesn't have this limitation.  And Ninja imposes a bizarre
   naming convention on data files, too.

=> No control over individual price bar properties (except for color).

-Alex