Re: best testing software for intraday trading?

Thanks Joel,

Okay, so that is the way it works. So that means that since MC apparently can make use of 16 core they have to write their software to take advantage of this and it is actually the operating system that distributes their (independently parallel executable) commands to whatever core is available (not caring which processor it is on). Correct?

Regarding Michael's comment about dual core, that is what I am using now. It is an AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 3600+ 1.90 Ghz with 1 gig ram as mention before. At times some of the studies will have a bit of a delay but prices never seem to have a delay (my lowest bar size is 10 seconds). I am getting the feed from Interactive Brokers. For me the feed is just fine. I started asking about the fastest machine that MultiCharts can run on when I was trying MC 3.0 beta and my studies were slowing down too much (I went backwards to MC2.1.999.999 again). I am assuming that they have resolved these problems but I personally do not want to take any risks with a production setup that is just fine at the moment. I use the bands and the RSI. That is all I need. Works well enough that I feel no need to backtest at all. More symbols? For me, each new symbol just adds more work with no benefit. As Larry Williams says "Focus is very important". To me that means knowing one symbol like the back of your hand before you go to another. So at the moment 4 core would probably be just fine on MC 2.1.999.999 for a long long time. I use a command called recalculate which MC has and which I can trigger with global variables from another database program I use to control my setup and inputs. It seems MC is the only software capable of this. All the others require you press a function key to get the studies to recalculate.

John.

Joel Reymont wrote:

John,

4 QuadCore processors will give you the 16 cores you are looking for.