TS stability - which is the best version?

I'm using TS4.0 build 23, running on WinNT4 client - the original configuration more or less, just a few upgrades like a new harddrive etc.

I used to be very happy until recently that this was a very stable configuration that met all my needs.

However the EL system I am working on now is big, almost to the limit that I have to clean up unused variables and remove lines I don't need anymore, otherwise I hit the maximum size limit.

That would be fine since I don't want this system to get any more complicated, but TS4 chart scanner has become badly unreliable and crashes out every 1 in 10 or perhaps 1 in 5 runs.

Does anyone recall whether TS4 became more reliable post Y2K (the last time I upgraded)? Is there a definitive 'best' version of TS?

Thanks
Adam