Re: Cable vs DSL

Justin,

I just replaced a T-1 price feed with DSL (not by choice BTW) as recommended by a tech at GS. Thanks to your explanation I now understand why he felt the way he did.

However, I just finished a discussion with one of the supervisors at AT & T global, because the actual transmission rate that I purchased was usually never attained in real life.

He said that the realizable rate, which is what they sell, is dependent upon how many actual user connects there are present on all the distribution lines outgoing from my local telephone switching station.
The more DSL connects the slower the feed.

Does that make sense, and if it does, would it be reasonable to believe that transmission rates will only go down as more DSL customers are added even if they allocate a fixed percentage of the traffic to DSL?

Thanks for the feedback.

Richard Funkhouser

Justin T Fanning wrote:

DSL:

Ditribution - Big internet pipe comes into exchange, goes into a unit called a dslam (think of it as a managed ethernet switch) signal from each port joins customers wire pair ; pro1 - usually a contention ratio is offered, meaning a vague ratio of bandwidth available vs price your paying exists ; pro2 - Usually the basic phone service is Government protected in most countries, so if a service failure is due to a physical problem with the wiring your guaranteed a quick repair ; pro3 - Minor: usually self install (faster, no waiting on appointments etc). Con - usually a fixed bandwidth, no chance of extra speed outside peek hours etc ;

Summary... Speed, reliability, low cost ... Chose any two:

Speed + low cost = Cable

Reliability + low cost = DSL

Speed + Reliability = Dedicated circuit