Re[2]: Firewall test results

> Windows Media Player is a bit of a special case since it's so
> integrated into the OS. You can tell it not to report statistics,
> etc., but you can't shut off checking for updates AFAIK.

My recollection is that I dealt with this by preventing the
WMPNSCFG.exe file from loading at start-up.  You need to use the
System Configuration Utility (Start | Run... | msconfig |OK | Startup
tab | uncheck WMPNSCFG) to disable it.  It didn't affect Windows Media
Player's functionality.

You could also use a software firewall :)