Re: Firewall test results

DH wrote:
> I was able to get rid of those by going into the
> individual apps and shutting down the automatic load at boot thing and
> telling them not to phone home but it was a real pain.

There are plenty of "startup cop" programs that will show you all the
little apps and daemons that run at boot time, and let you remove or
disable them.  That way you don't have to figure out every app's magic
process to disable them individually.

Now if you really want an eye-opener, try downloading SysInternal's
FileMon from Microsoft.  It shows every time any app opens a file or any
kind of file handle (directories, pipes, etc).  You'd be amazed how much
crap goes on behind the scenes.  Some of it you may not want to allow.

> Maybe if you turned off having the OS check for updates but the
> security updates come so fast and furious for Windows that
> I've bitten the bullet and let it check on its own.

Not me.  Too many Microslop updates are worse than the original problem.
The major updates come once a month, on Patch Tuesday (2nd Tuesday of the
month).  I wait to hear how the experts rate them, then download them IF
they pass muster.

Gary