Last rant on Schwab

In an earlier memo I raised the question about what possible motivations Schwab might have in closing money funds to new investors.

While the most plausible reason didn't come from our group, here's what I got: 1) They now own a bank. If that were the case every accountholder, when forced to, would move their cash elsewhere, for the Schwab Bank current rate is about net one half of one percent. They couldn't afford to lose the existing management fees they now earn. 2) They didn't want to give newer investors the advantage of participating in an investment pool where older existing holdings were generating rates substantially above current rates. In other words rate dilution for longer term holders. Very altruistic, but if that was the real reason they'd create a new one for just for new money and consolidate later when rates stabilized. 3) And the one I believe is the most plausible -- They didn't want the exposure to law suits that they would have if some of their current pricing on existing holdings were at knowingly optimistic levels, and therefore any new money which purchased shares at $1.00 per share overpaid.

I've been wrong before, on many occasions, but in my mind that's the most logical opinion, and that's all it is.

Anybody know if others are closing money funds to new investors?

Hope I'm wrong again.

Richard