RE: Legal ramifications of translating EasyLanguage

I doubt that TS will sue anyone, especially the company behind multicharts
since it is so expensive to sue someone in a foreign domain and even harder
to prove your case and collect your winnings. Sometimes, the best defense is
a good offense and I would like to believe that TS knows this.

TS is so much more than just EL.  It's the combination of charting,
brokerage and EL that makes the product, not just EL.  Plus, the EL language
is constantly evolving.  By the time the translators are done with
translating, say EL 8.1, EL 9.0 or EL 10.0 or EL 11.0 will be out with more
features.

So, those that want to move their legacy code to something else will do so
one time and then be forced to maintain their code in something a bit less
user friendly. Of course, the user may choose to keep prototyping in EL and
deploying in another environment but that still at least gets TS their
platform fee - and the user needs to make sure that they only use EL syntax
that the translator supports which means all the newer features are off
limits until the translator supports them.

As long as TS keeps improving the product, there is no real danger to their
business and no reason to bring out the big legal guns.  I believe that TS
knows this and know that their financial resources are best deployed to
moving the products forward instead of playing legal games.

I also believe that there is a niche for translators.  I don't believe it's
as big a market as some would like to believe.  I personally will try any
that shows promise and, if it works, will consider it another tool in my
arsenal.  But, I doubt that I will give up TS unless they get back to being
as bad as I heard they were post 2000i (I started on TS 6.0 so did not
suffer through those hard times).

Given the tiny market I believe there is and the proliferation of
translators, I think it may be hard for any one person to truly dedicate the
financial resources necessary to create and constantly move forward (in a
reasonable timeframe) a translator.  Maybe an open source project stands a
much better chance...

Those are my thoughts. They may not be worth much more than 2 cents but
figured I'd throw them out there for fodder...

Hope everyone has a good night.

Sincerely,

Nigel

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back.  - Vince
Lombardi.