Re: Legal ramifications of translating EasyLanguage

i'm no lawyer, but i've spent a fair amount on them over the years. They would surely raise the cost/benefit issue here. There is a cost (40k min through trial) associated with legal action. Is it worth it to them to do this, even if they are clearly in the wrong. This is roughly a matter of your success as competition and their estimate of your ability to counter (they would think long and hard before suing MS).

Your software would be used in multiple jurisdictions. They may sue you in each.

imo, translating their functions is equivalent to translating a book from English to French. This is a clear violation of copyright. But writing the functions from scratch WITHOUT PRIOR REFERENCE TO THE EL SOURCE is an entirely different issue. Could this be an open source project?

regards,

tbr

Michael Stewart wrote:
Multicharts has an inbuilt EL converter and you can then export as
xml, its seemless. There are a few functions they haven't got
round to doing yet to do with positionkeeping and I think
I_marketposition etc.. maybe thats a copyright issue but they are
still in business...