Legal ramifications of translating EasyLanguage

On May 29, 2007, at 10:25 PM, Bob Fulks wrote:

But converting lines of code, initialization sequences, detailed functionality, etc., from the original even manually is clearly an infringement.

I'll convert mechanically and make the results open source. The translated code won't be part of Topdog and everyone will have a choice of whether to use the translated EL functions, write their own or skip them entirely.

You can use TradeStation functions lots of ways:

  Avg = Average(Close, Length);
  Avg = Average(Close[10], Length);
  Avg = Average(Close, Length)[10];
  Avg = Average(Close data2, Length);
  Avg = Average(Close, Length) data2;

I make a separate "verification" tool available online, one that will

1) Modify EL code to dump variables, etc. into a file at the end of each bar, and

2) Generate C# code that will do the same

Details are still sketchy but the intent is to simplify testing and enable one to prove that the results of their original EL strategy or user function match that of translated code.

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://topdog.cc      - EasyLanguage to C# translator
http://wagerlabs.com  - Blog