Re: Easiest method of moving to a larger disk drive

I've been using the original DOS version of Ghost for years without problems. Jimmy is spot on about the full Norton package. Far too invasive, and doesn't really work so well.

The new drive being from a different manufacturer shouldn't be an issue. If you're really worried about it you can go ahead and create a partition on the new drive the same size as the the original. Just boot to DOS > fdisk, and have a look at the partition table, take a few notes (or a screen dump), and set it up identical on the new. Trying to cram an OS image onto a smaller partition can be a bit trickier, and for that you'll likely need to get one of those new-fangled products that some others have mentioned. Probably not necessary in your case, as I'd assume your shiny new drive is larger than the original.

Suerte,

Dave

John Bowles wrote:
 Hi,

 I am looking to increase the size of one of my disk drives "the C
 drive" with minimum pain of returning data and and software settings.
 The current operating system is XP profession Corporate. Someone
 suggested Norton Ghost which could return the whole prior drive after
 the new one is initially set up with a new operating system. However
 I am concerned about the fact that it is likely to be a different
 make of drive and of course a different size. I am thinking Windows
 will have all sorts of settings for the new drive and a return of the
 operating system on mass can only be done with an identical drive
 (size, make, type). Does anyone have any experience with this and
 suggestions or am I stuck with the standard reformating and
 reinstalling the software then bringing in the data.

 Thanks, John.