Easiest method of moving to a larger disk drive

Hi,

I am looking to increase the size of one of my disk drives "the C drive" with minimum pain of returning data and and software settings.
The current operating system is XP profession Corporate.
Someone suggested Norton Ghost which could return the whole prior drive after the new one is initially set up with a new operating system. However I am concerned about the fact that it is likely to be a different make of drive and of course a different size. I am thinking Windows will have all sorts of settings for the new drive and a return of the operating system on mass can only be done with an identical drive (size, make, type). Does anyone have any experience with this and suggestions or am I stuck with the standard reformating and reinstalling the software then bringing in the data.

Thanks,
John.