Re: Files to save prior to erasing hard drive

If you have extensive data files, you may want to also save those as reloaded data from TS servers may not go as far back as yours. I would also save any templates you have created. If you can, why not just do a complete save of everything using File>Backup/Restore TradeStation>Backup TradeStation. (Available in TS8.1.) Then you will have a copy of everything you now have on your computer. You may have to compress the file to email it as it will be pretty large.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lance Heath" <lah_6707@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 12:04 AM
Subject: Files to save prior to erasing hard drive

Good day gents,
I'm a somewhat computer-illiterate TS8 user. My question - what steps do I need to take prior to erasing and reformatting my hard drive, to avoid losing any of my work? ( I need to reformat my HD and reinstall my OS as it has corrupted)
I have exported all my EL code from TS8 and saved it on an email account by mailing it to myself, and have done likewise with all my workspaces. Is there anything else I need to save?

Another question is concerning the version of TS8 that I am using, I didn't download the "upgraded" version of TS8 that they offered a few months ago and am still using the old build 1869, hence after I have erased my HD and reinstalled my OS, I will be downloading a different, newer version of TS8 than the one my EL codes and workspaces were created in. I am planning to do the upgrade to the latest version and then repeat the process of exporting and saving described above, so that I have copies of my "updated" code and workspaces as well as the "old" pre-upgrade versions. But it is possible that the upgrade to TS8 latest version won't work because I am currently using a slightly corrupt OS.

Any replies concerning these questions would be greatly appreciated.