Re: Mechanical or discretionary method of trading?

Disclosure: I am a broker as well as an trader for my own account. However, I
have been on this board for 5 years and have never once touted business and
I am not starting now.

I think the key to successful trading is pretty simple. If you are a
technical trader then do just do your thing and the heck with everyone
else. If you are either a full time fundamentalist or combination
tech/funnies trader then here it is:

1. find a source(s) of information and stick with it. I would suggest you
find a good broker and give him/her a few bones to get some constant
information. But maybe a good newsletter would do just as well. But
stick with it.

2. never fall for old fundamental news. Look for what is about to
happen, as that is the key. And many times the old stuff that people
know about works but not when you think it should so use your
source(s) or technicals for timing.

For example, the old crop cotton carry out was bearish and the market
has known that that a long time ago. But now it matters now because
the government loans are close to expiring. Another example: I have
access to several weathermen but I only listen to one. Why? Because he
is a constant source of information. Sometimes he hits a cold spell
but since I follow him all the time I kinda know when to fade him and
when to follow him. Otherwise I would just pick the one that favored
my position and go with him.

Hope this makes sense and good luck,
Robin Cotten
rcotten2@xxxxxxxxx