RE: Best site for tweaking PC

On 2 Jun 2006 at 18:37, cwest wrote:
> Going to the trouble of reinstalling everything to recover is obviously
> quite a pain, but most people rationalize the effort by saying they've fixed
> a myriad of problems, particularly an old messed up registry. Actually,
> reinstallation fixes the file system.

I saw a major improvement, and I did NOT reinstall or do anything to the file
system.  All I did was toss the registry and revert to a pristine registry backup
that was made right after a new Windows install.  Since that made a fairly big
difference, and I did NOTHING to the file system, it seems pretty clear to me
that it was the registry and not the file system.

Mostly the improvements I saw were more along the lines of "proper
operation" rather than "faster performance," but I don't remember seeing that
big of a performance improvement the last time I did a bare-metal install,
either.

The registry gets full of cruft and garbage in a shockingly short time -- 9
months in my case -- and Windows does not work well with the registry in
that state.

Gary