Re: Best site for'tweaking' PC to remove unecessary progs

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Best site for'tweaking' PC to remove unecessary progs
  • From: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:22:42 -0600

> Or would could back up your data, reformat your hard-drive reinstall
> windows and the drivers, then install updated versions of all the
> programs you use. I had to do this recently because of a disk failure
> and I was amazed at how much faster the machine runs...

That was my thought too.  I recently had a massive registry corruption that
forced me to revert to the original registry copy made just after I installed
Windows.  (Moral:  you really DO need to back up your registry in addition to
backing up your data!)  The result was that I had to reinstall most
applications.  They were still on the disk, but the system didn't know about
them or they weren't properly configured because the registry entries were
gone.  After reverting to a nearly-pristine registry, the system now runs faster
and a number of bizarre bugs and misbehaviors have vanished.

So if you don't want to go as far as the reformat & reinstall route Bob
suggests, you could zap your registry (assuming you still have the original
copy of your registry in \Windows\Repair) and get virtually all the benefits of
a fresh install.

Gary