Re: TS trading platform impressive

I build my own computers for my use but I recommend Dell to all my friends
and family.  Support is not as important as it was.  Dell ships most
units with XP.  While there are some things you need to know about XP
it does handle most problems on it's own.  What you do need to know is
you need to Tweak XP.  Turn Themes off first thing.  Google Tweak XP
for a list of things you might want to kill off.  Set it for
performance not appearance.  Also important is XP has a neat feature
in recovery.  It will take your machine back to the state it last
worked ok in.  However this can also be a problem.  Say you install
something that works then later is does not.  XP will keep trying to
bo back to the state when it worked.  Sometimes this is not what you want
to do.  The chances of problems with XP and the recovery system are
rare though.  I also set everything in XP to classic view.  I don't
care for the new stuff.  Keep in mind that Tradestation 8 is not very
computer intensive like Ts2ki is.  Then again if you open 50
workspaces with zillions of charts I guess you can get in trouble.  So
if you go Dell get a unit with hyperthreading and a fast Front side
buss (FSB) and a gig or two of memory.  Get a video card that has lots
of memory and is basically designed for game players.  You might also
consider serial drives.  Dell supports them on the motherboard and
they are very quick.  I always have at least two drives so I can
backup one to the other each week.

I can't tell you anything about Trade Station Securities.  I would
never put my money near those Cruz brothers.

Jimmy

I'm considering opening an account with Trade Station Securities.  The
trading platform demo is quite impressive, especially the order platform
where you can place limit and stop orders at the time of entry.  But I'm not
sure if this feature applies to only equities and not futures.  The demo's
primary focus was on equities and I trade only index futures and options.  I
intend to  upgrade my computer and I'm looking for suggestions as to
computer brands and resources needed to run TS  real time, trading a limited
number of symbols [futures, index and commodity options], with 3 new LCD
monitors.

I've been a Dell user for years, but I hear their support services have
declined in recent times.  I'd like to hear comments from members with a
head's up on recommended computers and LCD monitors for this non-techie.
This will be a trading computer only so there won't be any necessity for
bells and whistles.  I currently run eSignal with Windows 2000.

Also, It would also be helpful to hear from traders who are currently
trading futures/options using TS real time and whether the platform meets
the hype promulgated by Omega.  If preferred, you may email me privately.

My thanx to all who took the time to read this.

Robert Rowe