Re: OT: speaking of win 2k...

Chris,
Do you have msconfig? Try start, run, msconfig. If you don't have it get it from a XP user. Use it to turn off all regular and even windows type programs then see how you boot up. Then you turn one on at a time to see what is a problem. The other thing is drivers. If you haven't installed all new drivers for all the equipment then do. If that doesn't fix you up then turn off all equipment (disable) then check it out. Finally do a google search for Windows 2000 tweaks.

I would say you have a hardware problem of some kind. Driver or compatability of equip. When w2k is slow to crank up it is having a hard time getting everything to work with everything else. Least that is what it always was for me. Turning stuff completely off will tell you the most info. Pain in the rear I know.

Jimmy

Chris Cheatham wrote:

Since we are thinking OS, I just did a new win2k install w/new chip
&mb...very fast except for startup. Almost 2 minutes. Seems to reach several
points when it is waiting for things that are not happening, but no log
errors. All the drivers are new...have cleaned out all the unneeded
services, and still it creeps along. I tried to find a boot debug tool...
msft's seems to only work in safe mode -- no help. Found a little thing
called autoruns which lists a zillion windows components that are running at
startup, but doens't give any clue to which ones are troublemakers. Any
ideas? This is at least twice as slow as my old chip that was half the
speed.

Thanks,
Chris