Re: HD Backup software

Hello All,

A RAID setup without file/image backup is more useless then the other
way around imo. Both is best.
RAID only protects against HD failures with are far less frequent
than viruses/crashes/accidental deletions. (don't use 5 year old HDs)
A year back my PSU somehow gone mad. It killed 2 HDs and my MB.
Those drives where inside the same machine like RAID.
Now I have a 1 GB network. I store my backups on that network.
A bit like the datacenter idea others suggested. And protects me from
PSU problems.
With the difference that my network has a theoretical max. of
100Mbyte/sec. That speed is important if you need to recover during a
trading day.
I have full control on how and what I backup.
And can burn everything to DVD.
Yes, it takes a while to setup. But after that it's fully automated.
Except from the DVD part.
If you use Casper/Ghost a lot of space is needed. But normal file
backup will do most of the time.

It all depends on the safety level you are after but I think the
solution is a combination of things...

For the very paranoid; a PC can die. No backup/RAID solution can help
you then. Solution is simple. Get 2 identical PCs.
1 PC you use for trading. The other one just idles. It's HD just get
updated regularly with the image of the trading PC.
When the main PC fries just start using the backup PC.

--
Best regards,
Tony

More people I meet, more I like my dog....