Re: HD Backup software

Some of you may misunderstand the way Casper works . It clones the hard drive, not creates CD's or DVD's. And the new 3.0 is very very fast. It will backup to IDE or USB (or 1394). You can boot the cloned drive.

It is a pain to swap disks, true, which is why I pulled an IDE and power cable outside one system so the backup drive can be attached and booted without opening the case. RAID is slick, but won't save you from a virus, or a drive-frying power event. Got a new system with SATA, and preliminary tests show that the SATA drive can be attached externally and booted. SO this looks like the future. As far as I know, large USB drives cannot yet be booted by any BIOS, only small ones (flash or LS120 - you could run DOS :-)

donc

I gotta agree with you - it doesn't make much since to me either. Used a RAID
setup for two years with XP - no problems. Even used it to clone the
workstation to a new box for a different trading account.

If RAID doesn't trip your trigger how about an external hd like the Seagate USB
80 gig - at WallieWorld apx $100 w/software - it doesn't get much easier. If 80
gig doesn't work for you they do have a bigger one.

Larry

cwest wrote:

I gotta say it, again. Although I'm probably a pain with this, why don't
most people on this list who live by the ticks as it were use RAID, and bup
offsite? All this stuff about images for backups etc. etc. is way out in
left field in the context of trading workstations, and a lot of unnecessary
work.

Hello Leslie_George,
I have used it for some time with good results.
Their latest version 3.0 now allows for backing up only those files which
have changed since the last backup which, greatly speeds up the backup. I
have 2 17 gig drives on my TS8 machine and do a daily backup after the
market closes in about 2 minutes.