Re[2]: HD Backup software

Hello Colin,

Tuesday, July 19, 2005, 2:56:14 AM, you wrote:

> I gotta say it, again. Although I'm probably a pain with this, why don't
> most people on this list who live by the ticks as it were use RAID, and bup
> offsite? All this stuff about images for backups etc. etc. is way out in
> left field in the context of trading workstations, and a lot of unnecessary
> work.

Well said Colin! Although RAID is not a complete solution either without
redundancy, which is whole 'nother ball of wax.

I run a pool of backups with the Duocor software and some are stored
offsite. The Duocor SW backs up while everything is running (it will backup
operating servers with no downtime) and in the event of a drive death or
other "showstopper" problem) the system boots right up off of the backup -
total downtime probably less than a minute. Simple stuff like inadvertent
file or folder deletions can be restored with about two mouse clicks.

But then I'm just an EoD kinda guy with a lot of code that I have sweated
blood over and don't want to lose.

--
Best regards,
 Ross                         mail to: Ross.Bond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx