Re: Off Topic

   Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:11:00 -0500
   From: The Funkhousers <funkhouser@xxxxxxxx>

   >I have a Pentium machine using Win 98SE.  Primary browser is Netscape,
   >but an error message usually occurs when Windows defaults to Explorer.
   >Periodically I'll get an error message of "Windows cannot find
   >PROGRAM.exe.  This program is needed for opening files of type
   >URL.HypertextTransferProtocol"

1) Try Jimmy's Firefox solution...first.  It's far better than #2 in
   terms of ease and safety.

   >That's correct, a file search so confirms.  How do I get it, and where
   >should it be located once abtained?

2) You can track down the associations between file types and
   applications in "windows explorer" under the 'tools' section.  Then
   you can change it (I usually just delete that association, then
   restart whatever triggered this error message.  When the 'unknown
   file type' box comes up, I correct it to the appropriate program).
   Alas, the problem with this approach is that an error can be a
   nightmare.  I learned it long ago, when a reinstallation was
   planned anyway.  _Really_ try #1 first.

3)  Look on ebay for complete computers for less than say $100 (or $50)
    or whatever.  With patience, a Pentium III with newer OS software
    will be available, Windows XP is far better than Win 98SE (given
    sufficient processor power, and any Pentium II or greater will be
    sufficient compared to a Pentium).  I've picked up two such
    machines within about a 4 day search effort over the last year
    (they make great firewalls).