Re[2]: OT- Dell Dimension, Celeron vs Pentium 4

Hello Phil,

Here, all ready for download: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

PB> The only way that would happen is if INTC comes out with 64 bit,
PB> but it is not needed, and it would not be an architecture like
PB> Amd.

After initially putting down AMD for their 64-bit processors and
telling the world that 64-bit is not needed, Intel suddenly, about a
year ago, came out with their own design (?) claiming that they were
the first bringing out this technology!!! (notice the similarity to
VP-talk?) However, try to go and buy a single 64-bit desktop processor
from Intel - they are far from being actually ready with this, and are
nowhere to be found!

PB> In fact most all Amd's have some incompatibilities with WinXP
PB> SP2.

I have experianced precisely none with any of our AMD cpu-s, but my
Pentium M laptop started experiencing occasional blue screens after
SP2 install.

PB> Basically you're buying old Athlon 32 bit technology from years
PB> back. It is fast for its size, but the processor is gated 0%,
PB> where as Intc gate their processors 50% for reliabilty and heat
PB> reduction.

Now can you back *this* up with a link or something?  Never heard of
anything like that.  Again, sounds like elections...

PB> So if you're low on funds and need power, its hard to beat. Many
PB> traders like Amd. I don't like the ddr crap either, but my dual
PB> Xeon RDRAM loaded workstations should do well for years to come in
PB> performance and reliability. But personally, I'd get the best Intc
PB> you could get.

If you think that your trading and software setup is set and is not
going to evolve over the years to come, that's just pefect. However,
traders who want to evolve with their trading know that more and more
resources are needed to evolve. Even with TS, it's possible to do more
with a more powerful cpu. If someone thinks that investing $8000 in
hardware for the next 5 years will keep them on the cutting edge,
he/she is totally wrong in today's environment of ever-increasing
speed of technological progress. Small $500-$1000/year investments on
upgrades are the only answer to keep you close to the cutting edge,
unless you absolutely don't care being there. The dual Xenons are
worth next to nothing in 3 years although at present this may sound
impressive to superficially inclined.

PB> But look very hard so you don't have to keep buying and upgrading
PB> frequently.

My thinking in this regard is precisely the opposite - it's not
possible to make a one-time investment in computer technology for the
rest of your life; the situation is *very* different from buying a
house. Rather than spending $5000 for a cutting-edge new system now, I
would spend it in $200-$500 increments over the next years, and by
doing so keep myself much closer to the edge in technology. But that's
just me and opinions obviously differ.

Best regards,

Ivo Karindi