Re: OT- Dell Dimension, Celeron vs Pentium 4

It's not the chip, it's the chipset. I have also experienced many problems with AMD based motherboards, specially regarding video capture apps. And it's all related to the motherboard chipsets. The difference between AMD & Intel processor mobo is not just the CPU, it's mostly the other chips that support the CPU. Most problems lie there. It's unfortunate, but true that AMD chipset's are more unstable than Intel chipsets. And the problems are mostly around peripheral handling, like high speed USB & firewire devices. If you are using the machine just for trading, go with AMD by all means, but a general purpose machine, on which from time to time you want to capture video from firewire, or stuff like that, I would stick to Intel chip based mobo.

My 2 cents.

Abhijit

Lawrence Price wrote:

I am not sure if it has changed but I found that my system with a 1G AMD chip had many strange glitches running some software. I remember a problem with the DirectPC software in particular. Ever since that time, I have been leery of the AMD chips. I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest because it is clear that AMD chips are more economical. I just wonder if there is a problem with some software.

Sincerely,

Lawrence Price