Re: Casper catastrophe

   Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:52:51 -0500
   From: Jimmy <jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

   RAID is for speed.

Raid0 is for speed, Raid1 is for reliability. Raid1+0 gets both.

   You can save data part to one disk part to other.
   You can also save all data to both disks.  If one fails with data on
   each disk your are dead.  If one fails with all data on both disks
   then ok you PROBABLY can be ok.  Assumes Windows doesn't blow up when
   a equipment failure happens and it probably will.  I'm no expert but I
   have never heard a RAID person tell me one drive dies and he keeps on
   running.  I have heard ugly stories.  Like RAID card blew up.  Or RAID

Sure Raid1 users keep running with a drive failure.  They stay running
until then get a replacement, shutdown to install, then start again
while the raid rebuilds.  Been there, done that...in Solaris.  With a
Promise card, should be the same.

  on motherboard but motherboard died.  Do you need the exact same setup
   to run again?  Two cloned drives allow you to be running in less than

Nope.  The same drive probably isn't available anymore.  You can use
any larger size drive as a replacement.

   5 minutes.  A third drive with nightly backups or copies will allow you
   to be running and trading in less than a half hour maybe 10 minutes.
   You only need to clone the second drive pretty rarely.  I do it on
   Saturday or if I forget next week or the week after.  Nightly data
   backups keep me current.  If the main drive dies you have the clone.
   If the third drive and main drive dies then Esignal will have that
   much data I can download right then.  Just my opinion.

Actually, I think a hybrid is the best way.  A raid setup with a
harddrives in a hot swap bay.  Swap out and store for backup, and you
don't need to shutdown any program to resync the mirror when you put
the new 'backup' into the system.