From: "Jimmy" <jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "cwest" <cwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Omega-List" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 7:52 PM
Subject: Re[2]: Casper catastrophe

Colin,

RAID is for speed.  You can save data part to one disk part to other.
You can also save all data to both disks.  If one fails with data on
each disk your are dead.  If one fails with all data on both disks
then ok you PROBABLY can be ok.  Assumes Windows doesn't blow up when
a equipment failure happens and it probably will.  I'm no expert but I
have never heard a RAID person tell me one drive dies and he keeps on
running.  I have heard ugly stories.  Like RAID card blew up.  Or RAID
on motherboard but motherboard died.  Do you need the exact same setup
to run again?  Two cloned drives allow you to be running in less than
5 minutes.  A third drive with nightly backups or copies will allow you
to be running and trading in less than a half hour maybe 10 minutes.
You only need to clone the second drive pretty rarely.  I do it on
Saturday or if I forget next week or the week after.  Nightly data
backups keep me current.  If the main drive dies you have the clone.
If the third drive and main drive dies then Esignal will have that
much data I can download right then.  Just my opinion.

Jimmy

c> I'm still baffled why no one on this list that I'm aware of uses a
simple
c> RAID 1 config--it would just about obviate all of the (hardware)
failure
c> problems I read about. What's wrong with RAID 1? Why not use it?

c> Colin West

c> -----Original Message-----
c> From: Michael Guess [mailto:mguess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
c> Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 3:10 PM
c> To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
c> Subject: Casper catastrophe

c> Jimmy et al,

c> Like many of you, I like to clone my hard disk (drawered so I can swap
it
c> if necessary). I used to use Ghost but panicked one day when I wasn't
sure
c> which drive was truly Master and which one was Destination. That
encouraged
c> me to switch to Casper, as I love its interface, etc. (especially that
it
c> can do its thing within Windows).

c> As you may recall, several weeks ago I had a disaster during a backup
that
c> wiped out my backup and caused a registry problem that could only be
c> resolved by reinstalling my Win2k OS. It's been plenty rough since
then,
c> but the other night I decided it was time to preserve my hard work, so
c> used Casper to back up.

c> At the very end of the backup I got a warning from Zone Alarm Pro that
it
c> had defended against something (not an intrusion). I tried clicking on
the
c> OK button to make it go away but it wouldn't budge. Things appeared
frozen.
c> Suddenly I got the dreaded Blue Screen of Death, just as I did before.
c> After a major hissy fit, I calmed down and tried rebooting my main
disk. No
c> luck.

c> This timing is especially bad (isn't it always) as I was closing in on
c> trading seminar I'm scheduled to do this week. Desperation drove me to
try
c> booting from the cloned copy. It actually made it past the Windows
splash
c> screen and was playing the wav file you hear when finally arriving at
the
c> Desktop. Suddenly, I got a message saying I was either missing my
PageFile
c> or it was too small. The problem was how could I go in to correct that
if I
c> couldn't even finish booting.

c> A friend researched this for me and advised I could assign the C drive
c> designation to the destination drive by booting from a Win98 floppy or
CD,
c> then running  'ckdsk /mbr' which would take care of the problem. I am
now
c> typing this from the destination drive that's now my main drive, with
all
c> my apps intact. Say halleluja!

c> All of this is to warn others that there MAY be a link between Casper
and
c> ZA Pro (latest version) which can cause such disasters. I'm going back
c> behind a router firewall and uninstalling my ZA. Meanwhile, I'm looking
for
c> safe alternatives to Casper. I encourage further discussion on this, as
c> many of you really extended yourselves to help me before. I'm very
c> grateful, and hope I can prevent others from similar disasters. This
isn't
c> meant to diss Casper per se, as I really loved using it until this came
up.
c> I just want to help others prevent similar fates.

c> Thanx to all,

c> Michael

--
Best regards,
Jimmy                            mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This email and all attachments have been electronically scanned by
Kingston
Communications' email Anti-Virus service and no known viruses were
detected.