Re[4]: email workspace TS4 (and TS2K workspaces, GS data & symbols ?)

Jimmy,

Your on the ball this morning. I just hit the send button and within
2 breaths youv're already replied!

Thanks Jimmy I very much appreciate your help.

Incidentally, I've been using Casper on the other machine and yes it
is much easier. And the 'Ghost machine' mentioned below that I'm
looking to replace the hDrive on had Norton AntiV on it. Removed it
all as best I could. But I suspect even the LiveUpdate that comes with
Ghost is stuffing the live feed up every now any again. However, it's
much better after removing Noton AntiV.

Guess AntiV ware etc must be the biggest dilemma to all who are using
a 'soft-feed' ?

--
Best regards,
 jon                           mailto:jonmac@xxxxxxxxxxx

Monday, October 11, 2004, 8:40:21 AM, you wrote:
J> I setup a buddy with TS2ki.  I mean I setup a second computer with
J> TS2ki.  I loaded the program then copied MyWork, Server folders to the
J> other machine.  The ?.orw files are your workspaces.  That is all you
J> need to give a workspace to another computer.  HOWEVER if you have
J> special indicators or such then they will not open on the other
J> machine unless you also send all the junk in the MYWork folder. All
J> that stuff like F0006.ASC and F0006.TOK are the data and index files
J> (I guess) that have your functions.  The I????.ASC and I????.TOK are
J> indicators.  But most of them are Omega stuff and I don't know how to
J> read those files.  I do know if you change only one using Power editor
J> you can see the data modified change but that is too much work.

J> So safety.  Do this.  Why?  Because I have killed hard drives, messed
J> up data lost stuff done every stupid thing there is so I know what
J> safety is.

J> Have at least one other hard drive.  Don't do that fancy RAID stuff
J> with striping or whatever it is just have a simply drive to copy
J> important stuff to.  You can easily install Tradestation so just copy
J> MyWork and Server folders plus Universe folder if you have changed any
J> info in Exchange info or added special symbols to the dictionary or
J> whatever.  I don't so I don't always copy it.  MyWork has your
J> workspaces, systems, signals, functions and indicators.  All the stuff
J> you have to have.  Server folder has data in the PDS folder but
J> importantly it has information in the Server folder above it about
J> your symbols.  Including your symbol list.  Data isn't much good if
J> you don't have the list of symbols.

J> Once again here is what I do.

J> Every night I have a scheduler rename my seven small backup files.
J> This way when my backup happens later it overwrites one file but the
J> last seven days are there with a number after them.  Jimmy.bkf,
J> Jimmy2.bkf right up to seven.  Jimmy.bkf gets over written but
J> Jimmy.bkf from last night is now Jimmy2.bkf.  So that small drive has
J> all my tradestation stuff and email and documents etc.  On yet another
J> brand new drive I have an exact copy of my C:.  I use Casper to copy
J> it each weekend or Friday afternoon.  Well most weeks at least.  So
J> that drive is ready to run if I simply tell it to be my main boot
J> drive.  Why Casper?  Because Ghost is an invasive hog.  Casper is like
J> taking a DOS disk and saying copy all of C: to G: only it runs in
J> windows and has pretty colors.

J> If you use two IDE type drives you simply unplug the C: cable and plug it
J> into the G: (or whatever name).  Then you boot and your Casper backup
J> will be the boot drive.  You fetch your current data from the F: (in
J> my case) and you are up to speed.  I also have old data on CDs.

J> Now if you have a Serial ATA drive like I do on C: then a G: with IDE
J> you can change the boot sequence in the BIOS when you reboot.  Or if
> [...]

j>> Then, should a saved workspace suffice for good backup?

j>> Aside from .orw extensions my folder also contains .at .ASC and .TOK
j>> Are these necessary, or just temp files?

j>> Regarding data (have read through Jimmy's "TS2k1 Repairs" pdf circa
j>> Nov2003), and looking for additional backup security from GS and more
j>> importantly I'm looking to load a new harddrive;

j>> For some time, aside from making a Ghost image, I've been selecting
j>> all the GS symbols and exporting 'em. As I have about 1000 symbols
j>> added manually to the GS Symbol Dictionary and Portfolio, what the
j>> specific files required to re-establish data, symbols, exchange
j>> settings, workspaces etc (looking to avoid carrying redundant files)?