Re: Higher timeframe indicator on a lower timeframe chart

Very true. But I doubt over a collection of hundreds of trades, the end result would be much different. If it does, I better look for a more robust strategy anyways.

In this particular strategy, ema isn't used for entry/exit. It's strictly a modified morning range breakout. But I wanted to raise the stop if the closes are in the right side of the ema. Initial results look promising.

I was actually wondering if there's a generic way to modify indicators (ema, cci, you name it) to apply higher time frames on smaller time frames like a 1 minute chart. And I doubt there's a easy way to do so. Sure, I can code my own version of ema and get what I want, but it's not easily portable to any other indicator. I have to code all of them one by one. Fortunately, I am not using many indicators.

Thanks again for the help.

Abhijit

Gary Fritz wrote:

The way I do this is use the 1 minute chart for everything. An EMA
of length=34 on 13-minute bars is the same as an EMA of length=442 on
1-minute bars (13*34=442).
<pedant mode>

Similar, but not the same.

</pedant mode>