Re: Higher timeframe indicator on a lower timeframe chart

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Higher timeframe indicator on a lower timeframe chart
  • From: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:32:59 -0600

> The way I do this is use the 1 minute chart for everything.  An EMA
> of length=34 on 13-minute bars is the same as an EMA of length=442 on
> 1-minute bars (13*34=442).

<pedant mode>

Similar, but not the same.  As an extreme and unrealistic
example, consider what would happen if every 1min bar except the
13min closer had a value 10% higher than the 13min closer.
Calculating the EMA on every 1min bar would include all those
higher values; calculating an EMA on the 13min bars wouldn't.

Obviously real market values wouldn't act like that, but the
concept is still valid.  A 442-bar EMA on 1min bars will be very
close to a 34-bar EMA on 13min bars, but NOT the same.  Try
displaying the two on a 2-data chart with 1min and 13min bars and
you'll see the differences.

For most purposes the differences should be small and it
shouldn't make much difference.  It may even work better for
trading on 1min bars, since the EMA value is updated on every bar
instead of every 13.

</pedant mode>

Gary