Re: futures as a % of overall investment strategy

Hello Justin,

Your  questions imply that there is an easier way to make a living and
I  suspect  there  is.  If you want to make 5-10% on your capital then
give it to a professional who, most of the time, can do that but don't
expect  much  more and, at least in recent times you may get a lot less.

If you are expecting as a futures trader to make
40%  or  better  return per year on your available capital you have to
look  around and ask yourself -- Do you know anyone else, professional
money  manager  or trader who is consistently doing that? They are few
and  far between. But if your business plan says that is what you need
to  do to be successful then if you are a systems or rules type trader
you  can  at least back test your rules and see if it is even possible
with  your  current  trading rules.  And, even if back testing shows it
is,  do you have the capital and fortitude to trade your rules. If you
can honestly answer yes then proceed, if not don't waste your time and
money trading you have already shown yourself it won't work.

In  my  own  case, I have traded futures for six years, full time as a
business  since the start of 2001. I started out trading everything to
build  up  my  knowledge  but  slowly narrowed my focus to stock index
futures,  currency  futures  and bonds. I am a systems trader and only
trade  rules that have shown on a significant back test (being careful
not  to  curve  fit)  to perform. Even then the markets are constantly
changing   and  what  worked  yesterday  doesn't  work forever. A good
example  of this is Mark Brown's Oddball system. It worked like a cash
register for several years and then the market changed and it stopped.

However,  I  learned a lesson from that system which I have used in all
my systems since. A successful system should have very few variables, 3
at  the  max.  Anything more than that is probably curve fit and won't
continue to perform in the future.

Secondly  I  don't use the technical indicators built into the various
software.  For  me they have never consistently worked. Instead what I
do  is  look for some simple relationship such as the oddball system's
use  of advancing issues.  Other examples might be the relationship of
the  daily  close  to the next day's open, today's open to close, the
size and direction of the overnight gap,% of up or down volume, etc.

Once  I  find  something  promising  I then take the back test results
which  should have at least 100 or more trades and using excel, resort
the  gains  and  losses  to  get a better idea of the possible maximum
draw down.   I  also  generally  assume that the draw down in the future
will  be  at  least twice that shown on the back test.  If these tests
show the system is tradable then I go forward recognizing the draw down
I  know  I am going to face.  Obviously if my capital or stomach can't
handle the expected draw down, the system isn't tradable, at least for
me even if it is highly profitable.

I  look  for  systems  that have a large profit expectancy. That means
they must trade often (usually at least once every other day) and have
a reasonably large average trade profit.
This  type  of  trading does require a real time feed but nothing more
than an e-signal with a minimum number of symbols. So  far  this  method
of  trading  futures  has worked for me but not without  some dry spells
and some painful drawdowns.

Even given the simplicity of  my systems and the fact that I work at
trading full time everyday, I  sometimes go for a couple of months before
my  testing  comes up with a new successful system. Doing it part time
would be even harder.

Lastly,   if your trading is successful but you just don't have enough
capital to make a decent living, your alternative is to manage other's
money  as  well  until  you  can grow your own capital to the size you
need.

That's how it is with me, hope this helps.

--
Best regards,
 Roger                            mailto:mailrs@xxxxxxxxxx