RE: futures as a % of overall investment strategy

Justin,

We all reach these cross-roads in life. I myself am getting to this one
also but from exactly the opposite angle.
Your looking to get out/ reduce your exposure, I'm looking to get in
full-time!!

I've also invested a lot of time and sweat in developing some good ST
and LT model's for the last few years as a back-stop to investment
banking to the point now that I have a "robust" model that I'm convinced
(through back-testing, and monte-carlo simulations) that will take me
away from my current 8-7pm job at the Bank. The big decision for me is
do I give away a guaranteed $200k+/Yr job for the next few years before
the job is outsourced to India that I'm extremely bored with, to trade a
model that can make 3+ times that (on paper) but has not been tested in
real-time as it's an intra-day model even after slippage and brokerage
are included? My business plan has been completed and verified, I have
also have the required capital in my account to get everything started.

Designing and trading futures models is all I think about outside work
(after the GF and gym)these days but next February will be crunch time
after my bonus hits..? What do I do? This will be the second time I will
be attempting this but I'm way ahead of where I was in
skill/knowledge/model terms compared to my first attempt in 1999 at
which I was break-even after 6 months? Decision's decision's......

All I can say Justin is weigh the pro's and con's, get good advice BUT
ultimately follow your heart as time is most precious commodity for all
of us? You may want to revisit the Business Plan you alluded to
earlier..there in lies the truth...treat any type of trading as a
business, first and foremost!

Comments also appreciated from the Forum..

Good luck in what ever decision you make.

Regards
Andrew