From: "cwest" <cwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Mike Symth" <mqsymth@xxxxxxxxx>; "Omega Users Group"
<omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 8:01 PM
Subject: RE: OffTopic Backup Redux

Interesting comments Mike. I've yet to find any tools that adequately
addresses backups, imo. My experience has been that file by file backups are
useless if a disk fails, unless you have nothing else to do for a few days.
Image backups seem to be the only kind of backup from which you can recover
within minutes.

It would be great if there was a product that did image-diff backups. That
is, insert changes into images. Powerquest have a product that'll do this
(they say), but the Admin user  account is hard-coded to SA without a
password, which exposes a PC to worms. I asked them about that and they said
the work-around was not to connect your LAN o the Internet, They're a
smart/dumb company, imo.

Has anyone really solved the backup issue better than Mike's experiences and
tested it in real-world situations?

Colin West