Re: Cost of in-house trading software development

Kent,

Precisley my point.  Microsoft has always looked for
ideas that sold well somewhere else then implemented
them on the PC.  In "overcrowded markets" that are
active and have players.  Trying to establish a market
is a lot more risky and usual death wish.

I don't know how you can say they don't innovate
though.  From their Windows platform, to their
software features, to their implementation inside the
software, to the features and adaptation to windows,
to their keybaords and mouses with the little scroll
wheel, to their megalithic .net development platform.
They're all innovative new products for the pc world.

You obviously hate MSFT and have a thing against them.
 But they do innovate.  Do you think Apple innovates?
Mac was a rip off from Xerox but it added stuff and
introduced the retail world to a windows platform.
Yet everyone says Apple innovates.  True innovation as
it sounds like you define it doesn't come along every
day.  And innovation costs BIG $$$.  Innovation by
your definition equates to R&D and huge risk.  Taking
smaller perhaps well tested ideas and making them into
something big is not a bad way to build software
though people who hate you will always criticize no
matter what.  Espically is you're succesfull.

And as for MSFT building some of the best software --
they do. They do it better than anyone else in
Windows.  I love MSFT software and I've tried the
others.  The other crud that's out there with their
layers nad layers of toolbars, and menus and windows
in confusing at best and unworkable at worst.  MSFT
software isn't perfect, but it's better than most
other stuff.

And what about all the digital pad stuff coming out of
MSFT.  That's all new stuff that MSFT is designin
virtually from scracth.  So they do innovate A LOT.

So people need to drop the old ideas spread by
netscape and Sun lovers and start seeing things for
the way things are.

Microsoft out builds, out designs, out innovates and
out performs the competition.  They can out last the
competition because they build great sofwtware that
people respond to and are willing to pay up for.
Corporatins wouldn't buy itif it didn't work or help
them.  MSFT spends millions every year making sure
they build software that people can use.  They are
spending more on RD now than any other time in their
history.  What more evidence do you want?

Their software isn't perfect but no software is. MSFT
has cotninued to build on their success in version
after version and steadily taken marketshare because
their products not only equals the competition does
but they do it better in mosat cases.