Re: Cost of in-house trading software development

Microsoft's industry dominance was built on DOS.  And it is maintained on
Windows.  Microsoft would be nothing without the cash that their operating
systems generated for them over the past 2 decades.  And they wouldn't have
that dominance if the pinheads at IBM had understood the concept of volume
sales back in the 80's.

Your statement that "Microsoft builds good software" is laughable.  Unless
you append the word "eventually".  "Microsoft builds good software
EVENTUALLY."  There are things that Excel STILL does not do that Quattro Pro
and Lotus 1-2-3 did a decade ago.  Ditto for Visual Studio.Net vs BRIEF (a
DOS editor from long ago).  Microsoft clearly still hires in bulk.
Microsoft Excel and Word got big because Lotus and Word Perfect missed the
shift to Windows 3.1 and came out with mediocre GUI products after extended
delays in delivery.  The DOS product managers of those companies didn't want
the GUI versions of the products eating into their DOS sales.  Microsoft won
by default.  How?  By outlasting their competition.  Not by out programming
them.

And Microsoft is NOT an innovator.  They are a consolidator and an
immitator.  They are NOT innovators.  Never have been.  They may become
innovators in the since that IBM is an innovator today in the area of basic
research.  But there is a huge gap between basic research and product
development.

The reason others can't "keep up" as you put it is because the others don't
have a monopoly on the operating system market which is one of the two
product groups that generated any profit for Microsoft last quarter.  If
Eudora wasn't free, it would be just another foot note in the history of
superior products that Microsoft outspent.

Gaming software is optional.  Operating systems are not.  If you don't have
a game, you PC will still run.  If you don't have an operating system, it
will not.

Kent