Re: Cost of in-house trading software development

Jen... I agree with your synopsis for the most part. Where I differ is the
degree of impact MSFT's ownership of the OS market played in their eventual
domination of the App market. I believe it was HUGE -- you own/sell the
razor, you get to manufacture sell the razor blades. Even if there are lots
of good,  generic razor blades out there, the brand tie-in will eventually
win you a large hunk of the market-share ...even if your blades are just
okay, and especially if you practically give the razors away to your
distributors as long as they agree to sell/bundle your razor blades with the
product.  And to your question "why couldn't a Megalon like IBM grab at
least some marketshare for Lotus?" ....well, the quick answer is -- because
the  bozos at IBM, in their infinite, arrogant wisdom, handed the PC OS
market to Billy. By the time they realized how badly they tripped over their
own shoes and tried to push into the market with OS2, the fat lady had
already sung.

BTW, I liked Lotus, but I was running it on a NeXT ;-)