Re[2]: Global Server hung

On Thursday, October 31, 2002, 11:52:38 AM, Terry B. Rhodes wrote:

TBR> Hi all,

>> At no
>> time during this proceess is there any indication of life, so it looks
>> exactly like a crash. Just be VERY patient.
>>

TBR> You can use task manager to make sure recovery is working. If the
TBR> cpu meter is spiking every so often all is probably well. If
TBR> server.exe cpu usage is using cpu then the recovery is running.

True - you can do this outside TS. I was referring to the lack of any
indication within TS that something is happening, even the tumbling
hourglass. Oops - I forgot that TS2k does NOT update the screen
correctly! Maybe they do something, but we just can't see it. :-)

TBR> Always reboot before starting recovery. Even so, I have seen this
TBR> process fail and require a second reboot and rerun before
TBR> recovery works.

I have seen it fail too.

TBR> I always stop and restart the global server after each recovery.
TBR> This is superstition.

I back up and reboot before ANY significant change! (not based on
superstition, just hard knocks)

ztrader