Re: OT_Odd Popup Message

I tried disabling the alerter service, a service which, I believe, runs in
conjunction with the messenger service.  I don't know if that would have
stopped the intrusions or not - I restored it after a few days because I
didn't like seeing the resulting repeated error entries in the event log.
Note, also, that disabling the messenger service itself can interfere with
some applications.  I have software which communicates with my APC power
controller and communication is lost when I disable the messenger service.

If anyone learns of a new tool which will block this new type of intrusion,
please let list members hear of it.  (I suspect that the programs which
block e-mail spam or pop-up ads in a browser are ineffective against this
new problem.)

Carroll Slemaker

> Would welcome some insight on this.
>
> Am running Win2K SP2, Zone Alarm (Not Pro, with security all set to high)
> and IE 5.5 SP1 and I am on cable mostly 24/7.
>
> 10 days ago I got a pop message/dialogue box. In the top blue bar was the
> words Messenger Service with a grey box below the first line being
"Message
> from WEBPOPUP" and the rest of the text purporting to obtain university
> diplomas with a phone number. The bottom of the box had an OK button. I
> believe this the box is a normal windows messenger service and the app
> running this is csrss.exe which has obviously been activated somehow.
>
> I did not press the OK button but instead closed down all programs and
then
> shut down the machine. On re starting I did an online virus scan at
Symantec