OT_Odd Popup Message

Would welcome some insight on this.

Am running Win2K SP2, Zone Alarm (Not Pro, with security all set to high)
and IE 5.5 SP1 and I am on cable mostly 24/7.

10 days ago I got a pop message/dialogue box. In the top blue bar was the
words Messenger Service with a grey box below the first line being "Message
from WEBPOPUP" and the rest of the text purporting to obtain university
diplomas with a phone number. The bottom of the box had an OK button. I
believe this the box is a normal windows messenger service and the app
running this is csrss.exe which has obviously been activated somehow.

I did not press the OK button but instead closed down all programs and then
shut down the machine. On re starting I did an online virus scan at Symantec
and also ran the latest Adware lavasoft. Nothing was picked up (except a
couple of cookies). I then reinstalled a Drive Image of the C drive (which
consists basically of just the OS) that was made about 6 months ago and did
the same scans. To day I had a repeat message pop up but the phone number is
now different.

Where/how can I find out what is causing this and is it potentially
threatening and what more can I do to protect my machine?

Thanks

Clive