RE: Signals vrs Indicators

Still an old debate.

Indicators are updated during a bar that is not yet closed
Systems are updated at the close of the bar ( otherwise the backtesting results
would not be reproductible) ie when values ar known for sure ( OHLC, fixed
values, with the exception of next open.

I_MarketPosition available only from an indicator will update first, and   avlue
may change during the bar if several orders are executed during this bar until
completion.
MarketPosition is available from a system will be known  at the end of the bar
only, and will always have a known for sure value.

These security issues are mandatory to build rock solid backtesting statistics,
and have been  a part of TS success over time.
(And please do not speak about bouncing ticks as a counter example ,thanks...)

Sincerely,

Pierre Orphelin
www.sirtrade.com
Tradestation 2000i, TradeStation 6 sales and support
Safir-X, neurofuzzy logic trading system builder

To subscribe to our FREE trading system newsletter:
http://www.sirtrade.com/newsletter.htm
Next issue: November 2002