Re: Drawdown calculation

Hi Gary,

> > I understood that DD was the lowest dip in equity following an
> > equity
> > high. So if a system reached, say 1925, fell back to 550 and then
> > rose to 2100 the DD for that period would be 1375 (1925-550). In
> > percentage terms I view that as a 71% drop - 1375/1925*100.
>
> To clarify:  in Tradestation, DD is calculated by looking at the
> highest CLOSED equity minus the lowest INTRA-TRADE equity.
>
> Yes, it is a 71% drop **within that trade**.  That's not the way
> you generally compute DD.  Your friend has the right idea -
> usually you're more interested in your ACCOUNT'S drawdown than in
> any particular trade's drawdown.

Just to clarify this point, the drop we were talking about didn't happen
in just one trade but during several trades during the life of the
system so I would have said that the *system* showed such-and-such (71%)
a DD.

The figures were just an example and were, in fact, intended to be the
actual account equity amounts although as quoted they are probably a
little low. We could multiply them by 10 so let's say we start with a
$10K account, get up to $19.25K and then fall back to $5.5K. That would
still give the same percentage drop making the "account" 71% down by my
figures but 14% by his. Is this right?

Whatever the size of your account, you're still losing $X. Saying the DD
is 14% makes it sounds reasonable but we're really talking about a
$13.75K drop and that's a lot whether on a $10K or $20K account.

Sheesh! I probably haven't got the hang of this yet... (:-)

So when system vendors quote a certain percentage DD, they're doing it
your way, is that right?

So is a 14% DD a good figure?

Ian