Re: Drawdown calculation

> I understood that DD was the lowest dip in equity following an equity
> high. So if a system reached, say 1925, fell back to 550 and then
> rose to 2100 the DD for that period would be 1375 (1925-550). In
> percentage terms I view that as a 71% drop - 1375/1925*100.

To clarify:  in Tradestation, DD is calculated by looking at the
highest CLOSED equity minus the lowest INTRA-TRADE equity.

Yes, it is a 71% drop **within that trade**.  That's not the way
you generally compute DD.  Your friend has the right idea -
usually you're more interested in your ACCOUNT'S drawdown than in
any particular trade's drawdown.

> It seems to me that you could claim the DD in the above calculation
> was only half that by saying you need an account size of $20K. Or
> let's start with an account size of $50K so the DD would only be
> 2.75%.

That's exactly right.  If you trade system X, which shows a $10k
drawdown, your ACCOUNT will have very different drawdowns
depending on how big it is.  Assuming you trade the same position
size, a $100k account would show a 10% DD, a $20k account would
show a 50% DD, and a $10k account would be wiped out.

> So, if two systems had exactly the same performance but one had twice
> the starting capital requirement of the other, it's DD would be half.

CTAs and others who manage client money often under-leverage
their trading to control drawdown.  If system X produces $20k per
year with that $10k drawdown, and the client is conservative, you
might trade one unit of X in a $100k account.  You limit the DD
to only 10% of the account while returning 20%, and the client is
probably happy.  If another client is more aggressive, you might
trade TWO units of X in his $100k account (or 1 in $50k).  He's
willing to sit through a 20% DD, and he's rewarded with a 40%
return.

Gary