RE: Re[2]: variable declarations within EL?

At 11:55 AM -0600 12/17/01, Jim Wixson wrote:

>Is this The American Way?  Well, its certainly the way of a lot of
>Americans - and others as well.  And it promotes competition.
>Could it be done any other way?  Decidedly yes: the oldest adage in
>programming is "do it right or do it again".

I hesitate to enter this thread again but software development is now
a well established process with well established procedures in use by
thousands of reputable companies. Many have ISO 9000 quality
certification.

In the beginning software development was an "art" without well
controlled development processes. That is not longer the case in most
successful software companies.

It has been proven over and over that high quality software costs
less to develop, maintain, and support than buggy software and that
customers will pay for bug-fixes in terms of maintenance charges.

Omega Research (TradeStation) software quality is a joke as is most
of the OS and browser software from Microsoft. If they weren't
monopolies, we would see quality software from competitors.
(Microsoft's applications such as Excel tend to be much better.)

Let us not give the impression that this level of quality is OK. It
is not OK with me...

Bob Fulks