Re: programming standards ?

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, multitrak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> This is true. I trade to make a living. I don't trade to program.
> Programming is about the same to me as taking out the trash, some things
> just have to get done whether you enjoy it or not.
>
> If I get a bit of code (like below) from someone that serves my purposes,
> I'll cut and paste it in, and trade on. If someone requests a bit of code,
> I'll quickly cut and paste it to the list, and move on. I don't have the
> time to become a code tinker, because as I've stated above, I trade to make
> a living, and time is money. Most of us here understand those rules of the
> code... ;-)
>
> MT
>
> The only "formal" class I've had in programming was Fortran in '71 (key
> punch cards, mainframes). Good riddance... :-)
>
> >I guess most traders are only programmers out of neccesity and therefore
> >unfamiliar with some basics on programming.
> >
> >If Condition32 Then Begin
> >Value12=Value12+1;
> >Value3=0;
> >End
> >Else
> >If Condition2 Then
> >Value1=0
> >Else
> >Value12=0;

True in what you have said, but I started my business life as a programmer
and can so far code in 31+ different and distinct languages. As a trader,
and knowing that time is money, if the market changes next year from
such the techniques you are using this year fail to make a proper profit.
How much time will it take you to walk through your indicators and signals
to determine just what each coefficient means, which condition gets you
in or out of a market. While you are slogging through ancient code, code
that is not making the signals you need, this time is costing you money.
If not ancient code, just try to remember the change you made to an
indicator yesterday, or the day before.

The time can be reduced by commenting code and indenting code.

One of the many things I'm finding lacking with Omega's programs from
a system development viewpoint is the utter lack of any standard tools to
make all efforts easier; from the simpliest indicator to the most
complicated function. The disregard for integration into standard tools,
or the redevelopement of the same functionality, such as indent, RCS,
cflow, cperf, lint, and many others reduces what could be an extremely
fine tool to the equivilent of a big rock. A big rock is a great weapon
when your opponent has the same or less. When your opponent has a
repeating rifle, and knows how to use that rifle, then your hopes are
dashed on the same rock.

Mike