Re: Weekend Code Ditty - 2nd try

I was thinking a similar thing...drawdown (pain) vs average dollars/trade
(gain) means much more to me than the other stats.

Also, I think the notion that "30" trades represents a statistically
significant sample is bogus. Thousands of trades in both the backtest and
out of sample data would inspire confidence in one's system...the more
trades is better, and over decades (if possible) of data. The idea that one
should not use long data histories because the market has drastically
changed is not supported by the historical record (as TJ suggested in
another thread).  If I recall correctly, Mark Brown has indicated that
Oddball was developed in the mid-80's and has performed profitably since
then (correct me if I'm wrong, Mark, as I know you will ;-)).  As others on
this list have shown or demonstrated from personal experience and real time
performance stats is that systems/methods persist over long periods
(decades, even centuries) of time.  Large scale market structural changes
would torpedo even the most robust system out of the water. But we know
that that's not the case. End of soapbox :-)

MT