Re: Wish I had a source file compare for EL

On Tue, 04 Dec 2001, Alex Matulich wrote:

> Ernie wrote:
> >   I wish I had a tool to file compare two EL source files.  I quickly
>
> How is this any different from the unix 'diff' utility that compares
> any two text files and shows you the differences?
>
> Not only does it do that, but it shows how to change one file into
> the other, and can do this for you.  A lot of unix source update
> distributions come with lots of small diff output files, which you
> apply to your originals using diff to create updated versions.
>
> The DOS command can be downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2gnu/dif272b.zip
>
> The documentation can be downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2gnu/dif272d.zip
>
> You'd put it in your c:\windows\command directory.  However, at the
> moment both those archives appear to be corrupt - I can't open them.
> Time to write to the archive maintainer.

The tool is differnet because it controls and locks files between
editing sessions. The tool can go arbitrarily(?) back in the editing
history to display what was changed, when, by whom. It does use diff
(the context diff), but is is more than a diff alone.

Mike